Open your business in the UK online and hassle free
Communication Team
Communication Team

December 23, 2022


Open your business in the UK online and hassle free

If you're looking to start a new business in the UK, you may be wondering how easy it is to open up a new company. If so, then look no further than this handy guide!

Business name

Business names can be registered using your own name, a family name or a business name. A trade name is a name that you use for your business if it is not the same as any of the following:

  • Your own personal name;
  • The surname of anyone who has an interest in your business;
  • The surname of one of your partners or directors if he doesn’t have an interest in the company;
  • The trademark ‘company’ when used by more than one company. You must already be trading under this name before you can register it as a trade mark. If you intend to use this for goods and/or services that are on our register we will generally accept them providing they do not infringe any existing trademarks or registered designs (see below). You may also qualify for registration of certain types of generic words and phrases as trademarks but this formality is rarely necessary when registering common words such as ‘London’ or ‘England’ without claim to exclusive rights over their use by others.

Check availability

If you like the name you found, it's time to check that it's available for you. You can do this by using our Domain Availability Checker tool. Enter the name of your new business and see if it's available for registration in England, Scotland or Wales (or Northern Ireland). If your chosen website address isn't available, we'll show you other similar ones that could work instead.

Registering your business name

Registered for your business name with Companies House, you can then open your own UK bank account. It’s easy to set one up online, and you won’t even have to step outside your front door. Once you have an account, all money from sales will go into it and out again when paying suppliers and employees.

You can also register for VAT (Value Added Tax) at the same time as registering your company name in England & Wales – a very useful thing to do if you think you might want to sell products or services in other EU countries later on (you don't need to register if all of your income comes from within the UK). You don't need an accountant or lawyer for this either; everything is done online through Companies House. When it comes time to file accounts with Companies House they will ask how long they should keep them on file – 6 months or 3 years are possible options but most businesses opt for 6 months so that there's no need worry about letting them slip out of sight!

Memorandum and articles of association

You'll need to register a memorandum and articles of association with Companies House. The memorandum is the document that sets out the basic details of your company, such as its name and registered address. The articles of association specify how you want your company to be run. They must be signed by at least one director and lodged with Companies House at incorporation, or within 28 days if you're registering with us after incorporation..


Shareholders are the owners of the company. They can be individuals or other businesses, but they must be registered with the company’s register of members unless they hold a small number of shares. You can give shares to your employees or sell them on a stock market. If you’re starting a business in the UK, you may need to appoint directors and shareholders. The document that records who owns what assets (such as land) is called a title deed, which is held by someone called ‘the proprietor’ who can pass it down to their heirs (for example: parents/children).


You must be a natural person to be a director of your company. If you are under 16 years old, you cannot be a director because the law says that directors must be at least 16 years old.

Directors are responsible for the management of your company and do not have to own any shares in it. The only requirement is that they must read and sign the Articles of Association before becoming directors.

Registered office address

The registered office address is the physical location where your business is officially registered. This is an important part of setting up your new company, as it allows you to establish a presence in the UK and open a bank account without having to be physically present in the country. All businesses must have a registered office address, but there are some restrictions:

  • The address must be a UK street address (e.g., “1 Street”). Postal codes are not accepted; if you need one for shipping purposes, consider using nearby postcodes instead (e.g., "SW1A 1AA").
  • The address must be residential or business-related; residential addresses are preferred because they're generally easier to find on maps than non-residential ones like hotels or restaurants. However, if neither type of residence exists near where you plan on opening up shop then consider renting one temporarily until something else opens up down the road—you can always move out later when more permanent options become available!

Statutory registers

Statutory registers are the most important documents for your business. The statutory register is the register of companies, limited liability partnerships and European companies. It also contains details about foreign companies operating in the UK.

The business registration process in the UK is easy, hassle free

Build your business on the wamo website with just 10 minutes of application. Don't bother with paperwork, waste of time and hundreds of information. You focus on growing your business, let wamo build your company. For more information, check wamo website or download the wamo app from Google Play or App Store.

We hope that you’ve found this article helpful and informative. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at any time. We’re always happy to help!

Wamo.Io LTD incorporated and registered in the United Kingdom under the company registration number 12352849 and the operational office of which is at WeWork, 199 Bishopgate, London EC2M 3TY. Wamo.Io LTD (Firm Reference Number 922901) is an EMD agent of PayrNet Ltd which is an Electronic Money Institution authorised by the FCA under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (EMR’s) with Firm Reference Number 900594.

Wamo Solutions Ltd is registered under the Laws of Malta with company registration number C97355 and registered office at Dragonara Business Centre, 5th Floor, Dragonara Road, St. Julians STJ 3141, Malta. Wamo Solutions Ltd is an EMD agent of UAB “PAYRNET” which is authorised by the Bank of Lithuania under the Law on Electronic Money and Electronic Money Institutions (authorization code LB001994, license reference 72).

The wamo card is issued pursuant to licence from Visa. UK issuance is conducted by PayrNet Ltd and EU issuance is conducted by UAB PayrNet. wamo operates the website and the app. wamo is not a bank, the current account is an e-money account. Issuance of Electronic Money and payment services is provided by PayrNet Limited. The Financial Services Compensation Scheme does not cover electronic money products. No other compensation scheme exists to cover losses from your electronic money account. Your funds will be safeguarded in one or more segregated bank accounts with a regulated third party credit institution and not lent out, which gives you protection against insolvency, in accordance with the provisions of the Electronic Money Regulations 2011.

© wamo 2022, all rights reserved wamo & the wamo logo are trademarks and trade names of wamo technology Limited and may not be used or reproduced consent of the owner